Sunday, June 1, 2014

Let's Listen to the Noise: Day 3 & 4

I don't have any other picture.
Technically, day 3 started when I got back to Nikki and Andrew's with a 12-pack of 312. As per anytime I drink with Nikki and Andrew, I pulled up my laptop to chat with old friends, kicked back and talked to Nikki and Andrew about random crap, and put Netflix on to watch something. That something happened to be Adventure Time. Yeah, we're growing up right?

Sidenote: I ended up Facebook chatting with an old friend of mine about transience and how much it sucks. More on that another time.

Well, I ended up watching a few more shows and just went to bed.

Did I ever mention how much I love Chicago? I met up with my friend Marie and had my favorite burger in the world: Butcher and the Burger's house blend patty mixed with curry-coconut spice in a butter-topped bun with lettuce, onion, tomato, wasabi mayo, and blue cheese. We took the brown line to downtown because I could never get enough of the Chicago skyline. We walked past the Art Institute, through Millennium Park, across the Chicago River, and settled at Argo tea. As I sat sipping my Matcha bubble tea, Marie and I talked about our futures and our stories of laughter. Chicago is the kind of city that you just find yourself walking around in and feeling its energy. It's surprising the kinds of friendships you build without realizing it.

That evening I ended up going back to the suburbs. I caught up with my mom, had dinner, argued with the internet for an hour, then went over to Cat's house. Cat has probably been my most trusted friend over the past 10+ years. If you want dirt on me, go ask her because she knows it all. We ended up meeting some of our other middle school friends (Sarah and Adam) and chatting through the night over memories and people from the past. It's interesting how you forget the amount of people that walk in and out of your life.

Sunday was more chaos. As with any gathering that my mom plans, a small barbecue became a party of 18. It was nice to be enveloped by family again. From aunts, uncles, cousins, nieces and nephews (yeah, they're my cousins once removed, but nieces and nephews are quicker to type), I felt at home. Of course home is chaos because I was grilling 18 steaks, nursing a beer while I chat with my cousins, trying to get baby Amelia to acknowledge me for once, playing soccer with Joe, and trying to enjoy the weather. Family's grand isn't it? It's always a good reminder of where you're from.

Same with the previous night, after spending time with my biological family, I went ahead and met up with my other family. Joe was probably my first friend when I moved to the United States. So of course we had a lot of shared stories. We reminisced about that one stupid AP Physics problem, that time we got a C on a project but ended up at the state science fair, the night his dad accidentally drank one of his contacts, the time we stole clay from a church, and the random stories of our friends doing stupid shit when we were young. Then we talked about the stories we didn't share together. The stories of drunken mishaps in college or the stressful stories of work. We eventually talked about our hopes for our future and where we think we might be going. Oh, Cat was there the entire time. It's funny how friendships can be so easy to pick back up.

As with every “last night” I have in the suburbs, it ended with a case of beer and the same group of friends on Vlad's deck. We always end up drinking at Vlad's. I think Vlad is our go-to guy when we all just want to relax. He's just THAT guy that every group of friends need. Will told us the true story of the morning after one of our parties. Let's just say Will stands as our lovable friend that does the most ridiculous things and who owes his sister a lifetime of favors as an apology. Then there's Marcky Marc with his jokes and his “voice.” Whether it be with song or with nerdy Geekdom over GoT or just a funny story, Marc always makes us laugh. I've known these guys since freshman year of high school and things haven't changed much even if we have. That's good. These are three of the guys that I know will always have my back or at least a good story to tell and a cold beer to offer.


So what are all these stories about? The hustle and bustle of my beloved city, the laughter and the camaraderie of friends, and the chaos and the sharing of family reminded of one thing: there's a home in the noise. I get too caught up sometimes in thinking of the big picture. I get obsessed with leaving a legacy or falling in love with someone that I forget that I already have a legacy and that my life is filled with love. My legacy is sharing a beer with Marc, Vlad, Nikki, Will, and Andrew, walking the streets of Chicago with Marie, reminiscing about the past with Cat, Joe, Sarah, and Adam, and sharing a meal with my family. All these fleeting moments are like flickering fireflies of love in the vastness of my life. Maybe that's the value of noise. They are flickers of life that force us to look deeper and smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment